What can the Advising Center do for you?
If academic, career, or personal problems are getting you down, come to the Penn State DuBois Campus Advising Center (Swift 256). Here, professional advisors can help you find answers to your questions about educational offerings, academic programs, and career opportunities--all in one convenient, centralized location.
We also provide assistance with change of major, change of campus location, degree audits, and referrals from faculty advisors.
Read further to learn about the Responsibilities of the Advisor and Advisee:
Responsibilities of the Advisor
- Help the advisee to understand the academic and administrative processes of the University and the nature of its academic programs. The advisor also seeks to understand each advisee's particular concerns affecting academic progress.
- Help the advisee to understand the expected standards of achievement and likelihood of success in certain areas of study.
- Discuss the educational and career objectives suited to the advisee's demonstrated abilities and expressed interests.
- Help the advisee to plan a course of study and give advice about courses and the adjustment of course loads. The advisor will inform the advisee about the prerequisites for subsequent courses in the advisee's program.
- Refer advisees to other resources when appropriate.
- Participate in the advisor training sessions as needed to keep informed and current.
Responsibilities of the Advisee
- Acquire the information needed to assume final responsibility for course scheduling, program planning, and the successful completion of all graduation requirements.
- Seek the academic and career information needed to meet educational goals.
- Become knowledgeable about the relevant policies, procedures, and rules of the University, college, and academic program.
- Be prepared with accurate information and relevant materials when contacting the advisor.
- Consult with the advisor at least once a semester to decide on courses, review the accuracy of the audit, check progress towards graduation, and discuss the suitability of other educational opportunities provided by the University.
Office Hours for Advising Center:
Monday - Friday
7:30am - 5:00pm
Additional flexible hours upon request....
Swift Building, Room 256
Phone (814) 375-4768
- Academic Advising